Getting Started With KidWind
To implement a successful after school or in classroom KidWind turbine building program you should acquire the following items:
- One KidWind Basic Turbine Building Parts (Vernier Part#KW-BTPART — $12.00) for each tower you want to build – a generating tower can be easily shared by about 10 students in a group or class.
- KidWind Wind Turbine Hub 10-pack (Vernier Part#KW-WTH10 — $66.00) you need one hub per student participating, and hubs are re-usable from year to year.
- KidWind Dowels 100-pack (Vernier Part#KW-D100 – $9.00) you need about 6 to 10 dowels per student/Hub combination to get them to build a set of turbine blades – these are not re-usable.
- Vernier Resistor Board to create a load on your turbine to measure the effective output generated by the turbine – you need one per tower base you use in your classroom. (Vernier Part#VES-RB — $18.00)
- Basic Digital Multimeter – one per turbine tower. (Harbor freight Part#98025 — $5.99)
- Low Voltage Test Leads – two paris per turbine tower (Harbor Freight Part#66712 — $2.99)
- High Temperature Mini Hot Glue Gun and glue sticks – you need a few 1 per 6 students is a good ratio – (Harbor Freight Part#68337 — $9.99)
- A Box Fan – one per testing tower (HomeDepot Part#399582 — $16.97)
For the tower you can use the following instructions:
The required parts can be picked up at any hardware store or HomeDepot.